What Does an Acupuncturist Do When Her Daughter Gets Sick?
Once my daughter Raven got sick for the first time (at almost 14 months old). She had what we call in Chinese Medicine a "wind cold"....runny nose with clear discharge, congestion, fatigue, and a low fever. Here's what I did to help her kick it as quickly as possible.
1) Reframe: the first thing I did was take a moment to frame this sickness as an opportunity for her immune system to learn and be strengthened. Often parents get down on themselves thinking they did something "wrong", or spend thei…
Acupuncture for Mastitis
Did you know acupuncture and Chinese herbs can be used to clear up mastitis?! It's true! If you or someone you know is struggling with mastitis, reach out to your local acupuncturist for help! Here are some things to try at home:
- First, and most importantly, remember that mastitis is the body's way of telling a Mom that she is overdoing it. REST is the absolute key. Call on family and friends to assist you with household tasks/other kids so you can sleep while baby sleeps and spend time in a …
How Does Acupuncture Work?
There are lots of ways to answer this question...
1) It's magic.
2) Everything is energy. Yes? Yes. Acupuncturists are like conductors of the energy flowing in your body. They use tools (needles, cups, essential oils, microcurrent, bodywork, etc) to balance said energy (which relieves symptoms caused by a state of imbalance). Symptoms of imbalance = literally any physical, emotional, and/or mental health issue that exists.
3) Acupuncture helps the body return to homeostasis, which is where our bo…
What to Expect After Your First Acupuncture Treatment
Acupuncture is a completely individualized method of treatment, so what you experience post-treatment can vary. There are several common responses that I see in the clinic regularly.
This is the most common response to treatment. The effects of acupuncture are cumulative, so each treatment builds on the ones before it. Subtle improvement typically begins after the first treatment, but in some situations (typically with more chronic health issues) it can take a few treatme…
Hydrating Electrolyte Drinks for Kids
When kids are sick, one of the biggest concerns is hydration. Often they don't feel like drinking or maybe are struggling to keep things down. This is when dehydration can become an issue. Here are some electrolyte-balancing drinks to try:
1) Coconut water.
Not much of a recipe, is it?! Coconut water is full of minerals and natural sugars to maintain electrolyte balance and proper hydration. In addition to use when sick, this can also be a great day-to day drink for the summer months.
2) Aviva Ro…
Herbal Popsicles for Fever
You won't often hear me recommend cold or frozen items, but fever is an exception. When a child is fevering, you want to be replenishing electrolytes and supplying them with liquids that contain healing elements. Sometimes, a popsicle is just more appealing than a drink. Here's a recipe created by Aviva Romm, an MD, midwife, and herbalist for herbal popsicles.
Lemon Balm Pineapple Herbal Popsicle
2 cups strong lemon balm tea (one handful herbs to 2 1/2 cups water, steeped for 10 minutes)
1 cup or…
Phototherapy Patches 101
Curious about these phototherapy patches I keep talking about? Here's the scoop.
The patches are made by a company called Lifewave. Lifewave patches are wearable technology that use LIGHT to induce biochemical and physiological changes in the body without relying on molecular inputs like pills, drugs, creams, oils, injections, food, diets or lifestyle changes!
Lifewave marries Western phototherapy technology with Ancient Chinese medicine. You can biohack almost any symptom using different combin…
3 Things to Avoid When Your Child is Sick
I talk a lot with the parents of my patients about breaking the cycle of chronic paediatric illness. I see lots of chronic upper respiratory infections, ear infections, coughs and colds. Here are 3 things I tell parents to avoid doing when their children are sick in order to prevent continued illness.
1) Going into panic mode. This is super common with parents of children who have a history of chronic illness. In my experience, it comes from the parent feeling like they don't know how to help t…
Acupressure for a Colicky Baby
There are ways to soothe a colicky baby naturally, and acupressure is a GREAT place to start! The powerhouse acu-point shown here is used to regulate and balance digestion, strengthen the digestive organs, and relieve colic pain.
To stimulate the point apply firm, gentle (acu)pressure for 30-60 seconds. In addition to pressing, you can rub the point with small clockwise circles. This can be done several times daily as needed, but should be done twice daily at minimum for therapeutic effect.
My Secret Weapon for Stress Relief
Stress is everywhere, every day. We are learning more and more about the detrimental health effects that result from living under chronic high stress and as a result, more and more people are seeking tools for stress management. If you've ever come in for an acupuncture treatment with me, you already KNOW how acupuncture can melt away your stress. My favorite stress relief tool for those who don't or cant receive acupuncture (due to location, cost barriers, or other circumstances), or those who …