Acupuncture for Mastitis
Did you know acupuncture and Chinese herbs can be used to clear up mastitis?! It's true! If you or someone you know is struggling with mastitis, reach out to your local acupuncturist for help! Here are some things to try at home:
- First, and most importantly, remember that mastitis is the body's way of telling a Mom that she is overdoing it. REST is the absolute key. Call on family and friends to assist you with household tasks/other kids so you can sleep while baby sleeps and spend time in a hot shower/bath.
- Place cold cabbage leaves in bra and leave in until they become warm/wilt. They will help relieve pain.
- Make a poultice of grated raw white potato and apply to breast 2-3 times per day. This will help reduce pain and inflammation & free up the blocked duct. Remove poultice when it becomes warm.
- Angle baby's head in direction of clogged duct when nursing and massage breast toward nipple.
- Ditch the underwire bra, as it can cause a clog
- Drink TONS of water (try drinking from a cup with a straw, as this can encourage more intake)
- If mastitis becomes a reoccurring issue, seek out a lactation consultant and/or have your child checked for tongue/lip ties.
- Soak in an epsom salt bath
ACUPRESSURE can be a very effective tool to get things moving energetically. Some patients even report immediate relief when applying acupressure at home. For instructions on how to apply acupressure, click here
RED FLAGS (Seek immediate medical attention)
- Mastitis in both breasts
- Baby is less than 2 weeks old
- You have visible infection signs on surface of nipple
- Blood or pus is visible in milk
- Red streaking is present on breast
- Sudden spike in temperature