Helpful Tips for Picky Eaters
Hippocrates was right on the money when he said, “Let food be thy medicine”. However, as much as we as adults may know this is true, it can be challenging to turn this ideal into reality with our children. Food refusal is arguably more common now than ever before, and can make mealtimes stressful and emotionally charged for parents and kiddos alike. So instead of waging World War III with your 5 year old over a bite of broccoli at dinner, check out these tips:
Keep fruit and/or veggies pres…
How to Stay Healthy This Fall
A change of season is a time of great importance in Chinese Medicine. We are going from hot, external, expansive, yang energy to cool, internal, yin energy. In Autumn, the Lung and Large Intestine are the organs that are energetically affected. This can manifest as a weakened immune system, cough, colds, allergies, depression, or constipation. If you find yourself noticing these symptoms coming up as the season shifts, come on in for a tune-up treatment to help your body re-balance and adjust …
My Child is Sick… Now What?
Kids get sick. That’s just a fact of life. So what can we do as parents to support and nurture our children’s bodies as they work hard to heal? Here’s a list of some do’s and don’ts for when sickness strikes.
- Remove all processed sugar from diet
- Why: Sugar feeds pathogens, so by removing sugar you lessen the ability for the sickness to proliferate.
- Remove all dairy from diet
- Why: Dairy creates dampness, or mucus, in the body. Removing dairy will reduce congestion and inflammation…
2 Common Food Questions...Answered!!
I get so many questions about food. The level of confusion, frustration, and guilt that exists around the subject of food can be really overwhelming, and it’s part of my mission to clear things up. Here are two of the most common questions I get...answered!
❓What age should my child start eating solids?
The digestive system of a young child is very sensitive, and is the foundation of health. Around 6 months, a child can begin playing with and exploring new tastes, textures, and flavors when it …
How Your Child's Emotions are Linked to Digestion
Western medicine is beginning to realize what Chinese medicine has known for thousands of years....that unprocessed emotions and stress are reflected in the physical body. Chronic disease in adults can often be traced back to roots in unprocessed trauma, grief, fear, and stress.
When it comes to children, it’s possible to catch these patterns early. Children will often act out or become inconsolable when they are in digestive distress. We know this is true of colicky infants. We also know this …
5 Reasons Why Digestion is the KEY to Paediatric Health
There are many truths that act as the foundation of Pediatric Chinese Medicine. This sentence is perhaps one of the most important.
In Chinese medicine, the Spleen is thought to govern the entire digestive process as well as absorption of nutrients. As this quote suggests, children have inherently weak Spleens for many reasons.
👉🏻 Before being born, a baby’s digestive system does not need to perform its function because baby gets all the nourishment it needs from the mother (through the umbilica…
How to ALIGN with the Life YOU Desire for Your Family
I had a thought today. (Fair warning, this gets a little woo woo toward the end....so get ready 💫)
I often hear parents say things like:
🥦My child will NOT eat vegetables.
☕️I could never get my daughter to drink tea.
🧘🏻♀️Sitting still for any length of time just isn’t possible for my son.
All of these are beliefs that we as parents have, on some level, accepted as truth.
My thought today was this: What if we could DECIDE to make something else true?
In asking this question, I already know the answer …
What Does an Acupuncturist Do When Her Daughter Gets Sick?
Once my daughter Raven got sick for the first time (at almost 14 months old). She had what we call in Chinese Medicine a "wind cold"....runny nose with clear discharge, congestion, fatigue, and a low fever. Here's what I did to help her kick it as quickly as possible.
1) Reframe: the first thing I did was take a moment to frame this sickness as an opportunity for her immune system to learn and be strengthened. Often parents get down on themselves thinking they did something "wrong", or spend thei…
Acupuncture for Mastitis
Did you know acupuncture and Chinese herbs can be used to clear up mastitis?! It's true! If you or someone you know is struggling with mastitis, reach out to your local acupuncturist for help! Here are some things to try at home:
- First, and most importantly, remember that mastitis is the body's way of telling a Mom that she is overdoing it. REST is the absolute key. Call on family and friends to assist you with household tasks/other kids so you can sleep while baby sleeps and spend time in a …
How Does Acupuncture Work?
There are lots of ways to answer this question...
1) It's magic.
2) Everything is energy. Yes? Yes. Acupuncturists are like conductors of the energy flowing in your body. They use tools (needles, cups, essential oils, microcurrent, bodywork, etc) to balance said energy (which relieves symptoms caused by a state of imbalance). Symptoms of imbalance = literally any physical, emotional, and/or mental health issue that exists.
3) Acupuncture helps the body return to homeostasis, which is where our bo…